Riverview, FL 33578
Salary: $9.25 to $10.00 /hour
School Building Custodian
Kid’s Community College Charter Schools (KCC) are not-for-profit public schools located in Riverview, FL (Hillsborough County), serving K-12 students. We dedicate ourselves to the well-being and educational success of EVERY child by taking a leadership role in providing top-rated, accredited, high-quality care giving services, higher learning, community enrichment and promoting cultural diversity.
KCC recognizes that our students and staff are paramount to our collective success. Our students rest at the core of who we are – but our KCC associates are the heartbeat. As a KCC associate, YOU are an integral member of the KCC team. We realize that what sets us apart from other educational institutions is YOU. Our KCC associates are motivated, intelligent, resourceful, caring and above all, committed to providing high quality educational services and doing their best in terms of performance and their dedication to our team.
Under general supervision of the Campus Director, the Custodian works independently to perform
building cleaning and assist with light maintenance duties. The job requires thorough execution of
simple cleaning tasks that follow established routine and standards of cleanliness. The work is subject to inspections at any time, followed by routine evaluations. Position requires working around children and people of varying professional levels and the general public.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Sweep, scrub, mop, wash and polish floors. Vacuum rugs and carpets. Wash windows, counters
• Dust and polish furniture and woodwork.
• Clean chalkboards and erasers. Empty pencil sharpeners. Empty and clean waste receptacles.
Pick up paper. Pick up trash containers and empty into large garbage bins.
• Clean, scrub, and disinfect restrooms. Polish metal work, clean sinks, mirrors and other
• Maintain various classroom and restroom supplies including: paper towels, soap, toilet paper
and related items.
• Move furniture and equipment, set up meeting rooms, classrooms and other school facilities for
special meetings and events.
• Maintain and make minor repairs to buildings and fixtures. Report other repair and maintenance
• Turn lights on and off. Unlock and lock doors and gates. Wash walkways and eating areas. Clean
• Check doors, windows and assigned areas for security and signs of vandalism.
• Practice safe work habits and proper care and use of equipment and supplies.
• Promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and report any safety, sanitary and/or
• Use good environmental work practices such as: recycling, turning off nonessential light and
conservation of supplies.
• Fulfill and complete maintenance request forms. Return forms to the Office Manager when
• Position requires using power equipment to buff-restore floors and to shampoo carpets.
• Position requires performing routine maintenance of custodial equipment.
• Perform other duties as assigned including cafeteria assistance as needed.
• Demonstrate work initiative, consistent completion of routine tasks and
• Modify task assignments to accommodate changes in the work schedule.
• Understand, follow and enforce safety procedures and the use of cleaning equipment and
• Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
• Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade and to operate vacuums and other
• Ability to think clearly and process information effectively to solve problems and make decisions
related to the work tasks and the environment associated with this position.
• Ability to calculate basic and advanced math operations accurately and quickly in order to
effectively perform the assigned and associated tasks for this position.
• Ability to read directions, warning information and basic correspondence at a level that permits
safe and effective management of the tasks associated with this position.
This list of essential functions is not intended to be exhaustive. Kid’s Community College® reserves theright to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
• Graduation from high school or GED, plus reading and writing skills sufficient to perform duties
and read and understand MSDS
• Valid Florida Driver’s License required.
• Prior building cleaning experience preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position must
perform in carrying out the essential functions of the position.
Physical Demands: Position requires considerable physical effort and is a primary part (more than 70%)
of the job functions. Tasks may frequently require heavy lifting, pushing or pulling of objects up to 50
pounds and occasionally over 50 pounds.
Working Conditions: Indoor offices and classrooms, exposure to: student noise and music, odors of food and science projects, possible communicable diseases or unruly students. Outdoor schoolyard and grounds, exposure to; temperatures, dust, pesticides and smoke (seasonally). The employee may be exposed to parents exhibiting socially unacceptable personal behaviors. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, and may be subject to occasional local travel as required by facility needs. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a person with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.