“Dedicated to the well-being and educational success of EVERY student.”
Under general supervision, demonstrates ability to work independently to perform building cleaning and light maintenance duties. The position requires manual work related to efficient performance of general cleaning and routine maintenance tasks. The job requires thorough execution of simple cleaning tasks that follow an established routine and standards of cleanliness. The work is subject to inspections at any given time, followed by routine evaluations. Position requires working around children and people of varying professional levels and the general public.
Essential Job Functions:
• Sweep, scrub, mop, wash and polish floors. Vacuum rugs and carpets. Wash windows, counters
• Dust and polish furniture and woodwork.
• Clean chalkboards and erasers. Empty pencil sharpeners. Empty and clean waste receptacles. Pick up paper. Pick up trash containers and empty into large garbage bins.
• Clean, scrub, and disinfect restrooms. Polish metal work, clean sinks, mirrors and other
• Maintain various classroom and restroom supplies including: paper towels, soap, toilet paper and related items.
• Move furniture and equipment, set up meeting rooms, classrooms and other school facilities for special meetings and events.
• Maintain and make minor repairs to buildings and fixtures. Report other repair and maintenance needs. Assist others making repairs.
• Turn lights on and off. Unlock and lock doors and gates. Wash walks and eating areas. Clean drinking fountains.
• Check doors, windows and assigned areas for security and signs of vandalism.
• Practice safe work habits and proper care and use of equipment and supplies.
• Promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and report any safety, sanitary and/or fire hazards.
• Use good environmental work practices such as: recycling, turning off nonessential light and conservation of supplies.
• Fulfill and complete maintenance request forms. Return forms to the Office Manager when completed.
• Perform other duties as assigned to accomplish the objectives of the position.
• Position requires using power equipment to buff-restore floors and to shampoo carpets.
• Position requires performing routine maintenance of custodial equipment.
• Perform other duties as assigned including cafeteria assistance as needed.
• Ability to demonstrate work initiative, consistent completion of routine tasks and
• Ability to modify task assignments to accommodate changes in the work schedule.
• Ability to understand written and verbal communication, including verbal instructions.
• Ability to understand, follow and enforce safety procedures.
• Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects.
• Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment.
• Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies.
• Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
• Ability to work and get along with others.
• Ability to think clearly and process information effectively to solve problems and make decisions related to the work tasks and the environment associated with this position.
• Ability to calculate basic and advanced math operations accurately and quickly in order to
effectively perform the assigned and associated tasks for this position.
• Ability to read directions, warning information and basic correspondence at a level that permits safe and effective management of the tasks associated with this position.
• Graduation from high school or GED, plus reading and writing skills sufficient to perform duties and read and understand MSDS.
• Valid Florida Driver’s License required.
• Prior building cleaning experience preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position must perform in carrying out the essential functions of the position.
Physical Demands: Position requires considerable physical effort and is a primary part (more than 70%) of the job functions. Tasks may frequently require heavy lifting, pushing or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds and occasionally over 50 pounds.
Working Conditions: Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, unpleasant odors and/or loud noises. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.